Friday 13 May 2011

Man's Best Friend

Dog lovers have no problem telling you why the dog is considered man's best friend. Loyalty, unconditional love, companionship and laughs. Any doctor can also tell you that having pets makes our lives better and makes us healthier, by convincing us to be more active. No matter how lazy you feel, who can resist Rover when he comes up begging to go for a walk? You can't argue with the fact that we become much more relaxed, lowering our blood pressure, when our loving dog or cat comes to us to say hello and asks for a gentle pet.
Dogs are amazing creatures! Not only can they be incredible friends, but many dogs provide humans with much needed assistance, as well as love and companionship. It literally brings tears to my eyes to see how some of these wonderful service dogs faithfully do their jobs—their mission in life is to help people. From being their eyes, to helping them get around in wheelchairs. From picking up a dropped pencil, to warning the deaf that something needs their attention.
I'm a dog lover. I'm particularly in love with larger/smart dogs, such as shepherds, labs and collies. Sadly, we had to put our Sheltie down two years ago from cancer and, the next year, our Shepherd due to hip disease. They both had very good lives as our constant pals for 12 years. As much as I miss them, it's hard for me to imagine the feeling of loss to someone who depends on their dogs to get through their day.

1 comment:

  1. i love dogs but my parents won't let me get one because my mom claims she ends up taking care of it..... i think she still blames me for my last dog's death.....i forgot to feed him so many times!

    ReplyDelete